5 Ways to Celebrate Mother’s Day This Year
Mother’s Day is an opportunity to celebrate our moms and tell them how much they are loved. While the COVID-19 pandemic has put a temporary hold on family gatherings, we have ideas on how to make Mom feel special – even with physical distancing rules in place.
Did you know?
Mother’s Day started in the United States in 1908. And well before that, in the days of ancient Greeks and Romans, people held celebrations of motherhood and moms in honour of revered goddesses. Later, Christians in Europe would hold a festival known as “Mothering Sunday.” Over time, it became a secular tradition, and eventually became synonymous with what we now call Mother’s Day.
5 ways to celebrate safely
This year, Mother’s Day falls on Sunday, May 10 in Canada. Try these thoughtful, inexpensive ideas for making mom feel extra-special this year, while still protecting her during the pandemic.
- Treat Mom to brunch. If you live with your mother or you’re isolating together, prepare her favourite dishes and other special recipes.
- Enjoy a video chat. If your mom is comfortable using technology, invite her to a family video chat. Using apps such as Skype, Google Hangouts or Zoom, you can include many other family members, no matter where they live.
- Involve the kids. If you have children, ask them to help you come up with fun ideas and simple, do-it-yourself gifts that you can either send to your mom or show her over video chat. Some ideas to try: photos, cards, collages, poems or songs.
- Buy her a gift. Here are a few ideas for presents you can send from a distance: a digital gift card for online shopping, a magazine subscription, an online class or a charitable donation in her name.
- Write her life story. Has your mother recorded her life story? If not, propose the idea as a project you can do together. Over the phone or via video chat (spread over a few sessions), listen to her stories and take notes, or make a video recording. This is a great way to revisit treasured memories and preserve your family’s history. While you’re at it, consider creating a family tree.
Carecor Health Services provides a number of job opportunities in the acute care setting. Check out our patient care roles and apply today.